Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Adventures in Chicken...

Ok, so I saw the movie Julie and Julia not too long ago. Absolutely loved it, very clever and well done, and the humor was definitely the icing on the cake. Of course, for those of us "foodies" it hits close to home. So with that being said, I watched one scene in which Amy Adams (Julie) is going through her list of recipes for the day and talking about sauteeing mushrooms. She mentions that it's best not to overload the pan in order to properly brown them. Well of course that got my wheels turning and I decided to put a spin on that alone. I made grilled chicken with a Creamy mushroom sherry sauce. It was to die for. Even my husband said, "Wow, this is really good." And for those of you who know my husband, compliments are few and far between, so I knew he truly enjoyed this dish. With that being said, I have decided to share my creation with you. I'd recommend serving it on top of polenta or at least with some fresh french bread for dipping in the sauce. Be creative and have fun!

Jen's Grilled Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sherry Sauce:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (grilled, we used the george foreman grill)
1 - 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
1 box sliced mushrooms (I used baby portabello, but use what ever you feel like)
4 large shallots minced
1/2 C Sherry
1/2 cup salted butter (remember from the movie, butter IS your friend!!!)

Prep:

In a large sauce pan, saute shallots in 1/4 C butter (or 4 Tbs) over medium heat until soft. Add 3/4 of a box of mushrooms, enough to cover bottom of pan but not overlapping. Saute until mushrooms begin to release their juices. Pour in Sherry and cream. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer. Add remaining 1/4 cup of butter and gently whisk into sauce until fully melted. Add grilled chicken and simmer for another 5-10 min until sauce begins to thicken. Serve with sauce spooned over chicken and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Jen, this sounds yummy but I only have Marsela. Will that work too? Thanks, Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can absolutely use Marsala with this recipe. However the taste won't be quite the same, but try it! I'm sure it will be very yummy either way! :) These are just simply recipes I've tried/created that I like, they're supposed to just act as hopefully inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete